Fort C.F. Smith, Co. L, 2d New York Artillery Interior

Dublin Core

Title

Fort C.F. Smith, Co. L, 2d New York Artillery Interior

Subject

Group of soldiers with cannon and caisson.

Description

Fort C.F. Smith was a lunette that the Union Army constructed in Alexandria County (now Arlington County), Virginia, during 1863 as part of the Civil War defenses of Washington. It was named in honor of General Charles Ferguson Smith, who died from a leg infection that was aggravated by dysentery on April 25, 1862. Fort C. F. Smith connected the Potomac River to the Arlington Line, a row of fortifications south of Washington, D.C., that was intended to protect the capital of the United States from an invasion by the Confederate States Army. The Army built the lunette on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River and Spout Run. Because of its elevation and location, the lunette could protect the Aqueduct Bridge from invaders traveling along each of the two waterways. ( Source - Wikipedia )

- United States.--Army.--New York Artillery Regiment, 2nd (1861-1865)--People - Artillery (Weaponry)--Union--1860-1870 - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military facilities--Union - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military personnel--Union

Creator

Smith, William Morris, photographer

Source

Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., 20540-4730

Date

August, 1865

Contributor

Civil War Photographs (Anthony-Taylor-Rand-Ordway-Eaton Collection and Selected Civil War Photographs)

Rights

no known restrictions

Format

photographic print : albumen silver.

Identifier

https://lccn.loc.gov/95518557

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

paper print

Collection

Citation

Smith, William Morris, photographer, “Fort C.F. Smith, Co. L, 2d New York Artillery Interior,” Mapping the Civil War in Arlington, accessed July 13, 2024, https://mtcwia.com/items/show/256.

Output Formats

Geolocation